Did you flee the war in Ukraine and would you like to find work? As soon as you have obtained a stay permit in Belgium (Annex 15 or A card), you are allowed to work. If you register with Actiris, you can, like other job-seekers, call upon the services of Actiris and its extensive partner network.
Step 1: Temporary protection certificate
If you were permanently residing in Ukraine, and you left the country to escape war from 24 February 2022 on, you may be entitled to temporary protection. First of all, you must report in person at the registration center of the Immigration Office and a 'temporary protection certificate' will be issued if the conditions are met.
Step 2: Annex 15 or A card
With the 'temporary protection certificate' you can register at the municipal administration of your place of residence. When you register, you first receive a document called 'Annex 15' and later an 'A card'. You need these documents to be allowed to work in Belgium. Attention: the A card is valid until March 4, 2023. This may be extended depending on the situation in Ukraine.
Step 3: Registration as job-seeker with Actiris
The next step is your registration with Actiris. As a public employment service, Actiris is the main player and provider of employment solutions in the Brussels Capital Region.
How to register?
- online via my.actiris.brussels
Do you have a national number? Register online (in French or Dutch) via my.actiris.brussels. Have you registered with Actiris before, but you need to register again? My Actiris is also your best option!My Actiris
- In the multimedia room of 'La Cité des Métiers'
In 'La Cité des Métiers' (Astro Tower, Sterrenkundelaan 14, 1210 Brussels) there are computers where you can register autonomously via My Actiris. Recently, a steward who speaks Ukrainian or Russian was appointed to provide you with language support during your registration. Don't forget that you need a national number in order to (re)register.
You can make an appointment at one of Actiris' 18 agencies or by calling the free number 0800 35 123 (French or Dutch). Do you not speak these languages? Let someone who speaks French or Dutch and has a Belgian telephone number help you.
From January 2023, interpreters will be available again at the Astro Tower (Avenue de l'Astronomie 14, 1210 Sint-Joost-ten-Noode) to facilitate the first registrations at Actiris. You can make an appointment here.Make an appointment to register with Actiris
Step 4: Information
We organise collective info sessions with translation into Ukrainian to present our services. You will be automatically invited to these info sessions after registering with Actiris.
All practical information will be given. If you missed an info session for which you received an invitation, you can always attend a subsequent info session.
An interpreter is available at the Beroepenpunt, Sterrenkundelaan 14. There, counsellors are ready to answer all your questions about language courses, training, job search, self-employment and interregional and international mobility. You can also find documentation and use computers there.
The Beroepenpunt is open Monday to Friday from 9:30am to 4pm. Except on Thursdays, when it is open from 13:30 to 19:00. All information can be found on their website (www.beroepenpunt.brussels).
Step 5: Job offers
The online platform 'My Actiris' can help you find job offers. Create a profile on My Actiris. Via your personal account, you can manage your dossier yourself and look for vacancies. You will also automatically receive job offers that match your profile.
If the vacancies you receive do not suit you, you are free to reject them and refine your search. The more complete your My Actiris profile is, the more tailored job offers you will receive and the more likely you are to find an employer that suits you.
Know that the public employment services in Brussels, Flanders and Wallonia use hashtags to broaden recruitment opportunities for employers by opening up job vacancies to newcomers.
Actiris - #welcome
VDAB - #werkplekvrij
Forem - #DISPO
Step 6: Counselling
Your registration with Actiris gives you access to an extensive range of services and partners who can assist you in your job search.
Visit this page regularly to stay abreast of information sessions and other interesting information.
Watch the video below to see how Actiris can assist you.
Watch this video in English, Ukrainian, Russian or another language.
Actiris and his partners organise different events to welcome newcomers from Ukraine and give them more information. You'll find an overview of previous and upcomming events here below:
- 05/10/2023: Thematic table on starting your own business together 1819 and Microstart (Ukrainian Voices RC Rue du Commerce 44, 1000 Bruxelles)
- 12/10/2023: Information session : Interacting with CPAS (Ukrainian Voices RC Rue du Commerce 44, 1000 Bruxelles)
- 19/10/2023: Thematic table on starting your own business together 1819 and Microstart (HUB1819 Chau. de Charleroi 110, 1060 Saint-Gilles)
- 20/10/2023: To start working in the logistics sector with TRAVI (Ukrainian Voices RC Rue du Commerce 44, 1000 Bruxelles)
- 24/10/2023: To start working in the sector HORECA (Ukrainian Voices RC Rue du Commerce 44, 1000 Bruxelles)
- How to create your resume (Cité des Métiers, Room Hora/Magritte) : Registration
- 24 March, 14:00 – 16:00
- 21 April, 14:00 – 16:00
- 24 May, 14:00 – 16:00
- 21 June, 14:00 – 16:00
- 31 July, 14:00 – 16:00
- 23 August, 14:00 – 16:00
- 28 September, 14:00 – 16:00
- 26 October, 14:00 – 16:00
- 27 November, 14:00 – 16:00
- 11 December, 14:00 – 16:00
- Infosession “Diploma Recognition” by CIRE at Сité des Métiers - Room Horta
- 20 March, from 13.30 to 15.30
- 21 April, from 13.30 to 15.30
- 22 May, from 13.30 to 15.30
- 15 June, from 13.30 to 15.30
To register for a СIRE infosession, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org in Ukrainian, by stating which session you want to attend.
Infosession “Finding a job with Dutch” (Cité des Métiers, room Atomium)
- 31 March 14:00-16:00
- 28 April 14:00-16:00
- 26 May 14:00-16:00
- 23 June 14:00-16:00
- 28 July 14:00-16:00
- 25 August 14:00-16:00
- 29 September 14:00-16:00
- 17 October 14:00-16:00
- 24 November 14:00-16:00
- 21 December 14:00-16:00
- Work in the care sector” by Huis voor Gezondheid and Tracé Brussel (Cité des Métiers, Room M.08) : 03 March 14:00-16:00 - Registration
- Job Day (UNHCR Europe) : 24 June
- VDAB Infosession : 15 July, 20 July, 04 November
- Education Day ULB (presentation of Actiris and CDM services) : 21 August
- Info Day for Medical Workers : 23 September
- CIRE infosession on diploma recognition: 12/10, 20/10, 07/11, 15/11, 24/11, 29/11, 08/12, 12/12, 20/01, 21/02
- Infosession on Job Search in Belgium: 20 October
- Job Search in Belgium: Infosession for Ukrainians residing in collective housing: 09 November
- Starting a business in Belgium by microStart : 15 November
- How to create your resume (Cité des Métiers, Room Hora/Magritte): 23/11, 13/01, 20/02
- Interim Job Day : 14 December
- Universities in Brussels : 15 December
- MicroStart webinar on starting a business : 20 December, 22 December
- VDAB info session on Working in Dutch : 05 January
- Infosession “Learning Dutch in Brussels for Ukrainians” : 25 January
- Workshops on effective job search by Travi and Сité des Métiers : 30 January
- Job Fair with Interim Agencies by Travi and Сité des Métiers (Сité des Métiers, room Atomium) : 28 February, 13:00-17:00.
- Infosession “Finding a job with Dutch” (Cité des Métiers, room Atomium) : 24/02
Any other questions? Or ready to register with Actiris and start your job search? Contact us!
0800 35 123, from Monday to Friday from 08:30 to 16:30
If you are staying in Flanders, you are asked to register at a VDAB office. You can find more information about working and living in Flanders here.
If you are staying in Wallonia, you are asked to register at a Forem office. You can find more information on working in Wallonia here.
Useful documents and information
Legislation on the use of languages: this information is a translation of a webpage in French and Dutch. Actiris is a Brussels public service and communicates in French and Dutch. We exceptionally use other languages to inform newcomers about our services. Looking for work in the Brussels-Capital Region or Belgium? You will increase your chances if you learn French or / and Dutch. Actiris can assist you in doing so.
Integration programme for newcomers Brussels-Capital Region information platform